December 2, 2010

12 Days of Christmas..Day 4

Edit #3: Sorry guys, but my vintage jello molds are not for sale. Remember that hoarding thing I have going on? I just love them too much to part with them.

Edit #2: Can I just add that I am totally envious of you that have all your shopping done!? I'm going to the city on Saturday with Eric before his company Christmas party. I am going to be organized with a list and conquer! Now don't even ask me about homemade Christmas cards.

Edit: Tracy Y wrote: At this season of thankfulness, I just wanted to tell you that I visit your blog every day, even though I don't post often, I am ALWAYS inspired by you and thankful for all you do!!! Blessings to you and your family!

I just want to thank you guys for nice comments like Tracy's. It takes an extreme amount of work do keep up with the blogging and to come up with fresh, new ideas. Your comments are SO appreciated and it's really what makes it all worth while. I read them all. I know it takes extra time to leave the comments so I thank you for taking those few extra minutes out of your day. I need to do the same when I visit blogs. :)
Welcome to Dat 4 of Melissa's and Mishie's 12 Days of Christmas countdown. Today's theme is Altered Baking Tins. While I'm focusing more on ways to use baking tins for storage, I'm sure Melissa will have a beautiful project that we will all want to recreate for ourselves.

Today I'm going to show you my holiday wrapping station using baking tins for some creative storage. (please excuse the less than perfect photos...there is no natural lighting in my basement so I had to use the flash).

You've seen me use my favorite jello mold tins for years here on the blog. Oh how I love them. I thought you might like to see my ever growing stash. Every time I see these I just have to snatch them up. My mom picks them up for me too. I fully intend to share them in my Etsy shop but then I just hoard them for myself. They come in so handy, I never want to be short handed. Hoarding problem?
But they're so dang cute full of buttons.......
On to my gift wrap station. This is something I do every year in the basement. I have a nice big table that I clear off that transforms into a Santa's workshop of sorts. It all starts with the wrapping paper. Each year I buy wrapping paper on sale for the next Christmas to come. It's always fun to open my wrapping paper box to see what's in there. Looks like this year we'll be using red, kraft and cream. Love.
A couple big bags of shiny bows also make it into the sale stash. Here, I've got lots of gold bows with a few brown ones in the mix. I think the tags that I make this year will have the reds and a touch of brown thrown in......and then I'll use some brown twine to tie it all together.
To fancy up packages I have an old wooden berry basket filled with all kinds of little embellishments, tinsel ribbons, tags and more. The key to easy and stress free gift wrapping is to have a plan....have everything that you need in one spot. And then keep it organized.
I found this muffin tin one day and fell in love. The beautiful, worn blue and brown splatter ware enamel is so pretty. It's a little rusty to actually use for baking but it's perfect for storing crafty embellishments. And it fits perfectly in my berry basket as it can slide back and forth. This would make a wonderful centerpiece too, using the muffin spaces for little tea light candles.
On the opposite end of my berry basket is a waffle textured bread tin. I use this all the time to store Etsy kits, little projects I want to work on in front of the tv, etc. Baking tins are so utilitarian and are perfect for all kinds of storage. Here, I'm using this one to hold my vintage tape dispenser and stapler.....scissors and pens, etc.
And for added fun, why not spray paint old baking tins that are a little rusty and past their baking prime? I pick these up at Goodwill, yard sales, and thrift shops for usually less than a $1.00. I use this Chartreuse green color for most of my tins. Krylon spray paint is abundant in lots of colors at Walmart. Just spread out a large piece of paper and spray outside where the ventilation is good. Here I've used two sizes of bread tins and a fluted jello mold to hold tags and cards I've made, smaller bows and an empty one to hold tags that I intend to make soon for packages.

I love how these tossed away items take on a whole new look when spray painted. They all match and look great in a little grouping.

And here's a little glimpse of a smaller spray painted bread tin that I keep in this basket. This is my *junk drawer* of sorts. It houses all the supplies I use almost daily at my desk. And don't just leave it at spray painting the baking tins. I have spray painted lots of old wicker baskets and my whole office area is now coordinated. Love that.Now. All I have to do is go shopping for gifts and I'm ready for some wrapping! How are you coming along on your shopping? The girls just informed me while waiting for the bus that they're exchanging gifts with all their friends this year. Now we have even more shopping to do. Fun times! :)

I can't wait to see what Melissa's cooking up on her blog. I know it will be drool worthy. In the meantime, here's a wonderful recipe for you. Nothing like a good brownie...but even better with a gooey peanut buttery filling. Enjoy!


Big League Brownies
“An out-of-the-park flavor combination”

Brownie:
1 pkg brownie mix (for 9 x 13 size)
½ cup oil
¼ cup water
2 eggs

Filling:
¾ cup peanut butter
1/3 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons flour
2 eggs

Heat over to 350 degrees. Prepare brownie mix as directed on package, using oil, water and eggs. Set aside. In small bowl, combine peanut butter and butter; beat until smooth. Add sugar and flour; mix well. Add 2 eggs. Spread half of brownie mixture in greased 9 x 13 pan. Carefully spread peanut butter mixture evenly over chocolate mixture. Spread remaining chocolate mixture evenly over peanut butter mixture. Bake at 350 for 30-33 minutes. Cool. Enjoy!

37 comments:

Jean Franks Beck said...

Wow, Mish - you are just so dang organized - I love it!!! You have inspired me to get out all my little goodies and get them set up for wrapping. Love your tins, too. :) TFS

June K said...

Oh Mish, looks like so much wrapping fun at your house. I love how you have everything set up.

**June**

June K said...

Oh, I forgot to mention that your brownies sound so yummy. Can't wait to try it.

**June**

Jennifer aka Scrappin' Aggie said...

Wow, wow, wow!!! What great storage ideas! Your little wrapping station area definitely would put a smile on my face

Hollie Shepard said...

I love how you organize your stuff! Looks like something out of a Martha Stewart Mag!

Priscilla Heistad said...

I love your gift wrapping station! I can't wait for the jello-molds in your Etsy store, and I need, need, need one of those muffin tins.

I spray paint lots of things too, but I am even more inspired with the way you spray painted old tins, can't wait to get to the thrift store. These would make excellent containers for cookies.

Time, I need more of it!

Thanks, Mish!

nancy said...

After reading posts on your inspiration stations or creative organization, I am always tempted to see what space I can take over permanently just to have colorful items around me all of the time. (Right now, I stamp at my dining room table.) It's been fun to dream. Thanks for sharing a look at your wrapping station.

Tracy Y. said...

Thank you for the wrapping station inspiration! I have all of my shopping completed and your post today is just what I needed to help motivate me to set up a place and supplies to wrap all of the gifts. I also love to use the metal jello molds. My mother-in-law gave me hers years ago, but I never used them until I saw how you incorporated them in your artsy studio! At this season of thankfulness, I just wanted to tell you that I visit your blog every day, even though I don't post often, I am ALWAYS inspired by you and thankful for all you do!!! Blessings to you and your family!

Katie Skiff said...

I love seeing all your cute photos...EVERYDAY, but this is esp. fun to see. I think I have 98% of my shopping done, and this year we are wrapping everything in brown paper and each person has a dif. color ribbon. That way the kids do not know who's is who's. :D

Patty J said...

Peanut butter and chocolate - my family will love this! Thanks for all the inspiration - you are amazing!

Gail S. said...

I love your blog postings! I also don't leave a comment very often but I try to visit every day. You have gotten me started collecting the little Jello mold tins and little wooden boxes I have found at sales for organizing. I love it when you include a recipe!! I have tried several and they are great additions. Keep up the wonderful job :) Your friend from the north (Nebraska!!)

Chris said...

Oh, I am so in awe of your organization and inspiration ideas!

I can't wait for summer garage sale season. I am so going to find some fun tins and baskets to paint!

Elizabeth S. said...

Mish, I so need to get organized like you! This is such a wonderful idea. I am going to be on the lookout for things like these.
Thank you for all of your inspiration. Loving this 12 days of Christmas with Melissa! Thanks for all of the ideas and the extra bonus of the recipes.

Stephanie W said...

Wow! You always amaze me with your creativity. I love your wrapping station! I NEED jello molds. I really like the idea of spray painting the tins. That is so cool.
I am done shopping. Just waiting for a couple of things to come in the mail. We are still finishing up projects. Each persons gift will include something handmade. My kids which are 5 and 7 are really enjoying it. Since the soap and apple butter are done, they decided that they just have to make the felt mice with the candycane tails for each of their classmates. I guess we will be buying felt tonight.

Karey said...

A couple years ago I decided to buy bags instead of wrapping paper. So the after Christmas sale @ Hobby Lobby was where I shopped. Now their sales are just about as good as after Christmas. So each member of my family got their own bag design. I bought about a dozen of assorted sizes each in each design. And I use them every year now. Hope this helps someone else to save $.
P.S. For those of us who check in daily we really do appreciate all the work you put into the blog.

Kathy W said...

Thanks to you, a lot of my old bakingware that hasn't seen the light of day in quite some time is now in my craft room! Love the idea of using something a little rusty but still purposeful. I just wish I were more organized and neat with my containers; instead, they (the containers) are overflowing and crammed with ribbons and do-dads...thanks for pics of your organization. I love that waffled bread tin!

wanda50 said...

I love everything you do. I take a daily dose of "Mish". It gets me through the week. Thanks for sharing and being a blessing to all of us! Have fun Saturday shopping. I know you will get it done.

Noreen said...

You have some fun ideas for keeping your stash! I wish I could say I don't hoard anything, but.....

Kris Carpinello said...

Ok, I just have to say I feel soooo much better about not being the only one to hoard stuff!! I think it's an occupational hazard. Only I do it with everything! Patterned paper, ribbon (especially ribbon), stamps, pretties, you name it. It's just so fun to look at all this stuff that is so visually pleasing! I picked up some jello molds myself this summer at a flea market - mainly because of seeing yours on your blog! I even told my sister that I was looking for stuff like you had! They are also great for storing little die cuts, flowers, or other accents that haven't found home yet on a project. Take care! Love the blog!

Krissy said...

I love your wrapping station! What a great idea! Someday I hope to be organized enough to do this (probably not until my little boys are old enough to leave it all alone!)

I must try your brownies! YUM!

Chriss Blagrave said...

Love your stations Mish, love that you share them with us too!
I never thought to spray paint an old baking tin...what an awesome idea and I have a few special spray paint colours.
Thanks for all that you show us!

Gloria Stengel said...

Someday I want to have a gift wrap station just like yours. Maybe my grandkids will benefit from it one day! And my future DILs...

Regina C said...

First I want to say I am having the best time following you and Melissa. You guys are soooo creative, I just love it. Second, my mouth dropped when I scolled down and saw your stash of jello molds - I think some of us out here need to help take those off your hands. I am so jealous!! Keep up the great work, loving every minute.

cowboydutrem said...

Lovely! I'm affraid I wouldn't be able to find baking tins that cheap, but I love your creative use of them!

Melissa said...

Ahhhh Mishie...there are so many reasons to love you. You have a way of making all of us want to create a haven in our homes...to make it a warm and special place. This post is one of my faves...you're so organized.
Melis

Rhonda Z said...

I love how you repurpose old/antique loveable items in your craft area. I never thought to spray paint old muffin tins, jello molds and baskets. Wow, you have inspired me, yet again. Thanks!

Rebecca Ednie said...

Fab post. I dint comment enough either but I read and soak up every single post. I love your style, very close to my own, and you come up with some great ideas I'd never have thought of!

Debbie Fisher (debbiedee) said...

I love all your ideas! I have had a few of those cute little tins for quite some time and then after seeing you use them, started collecting a few more. Ü

Now I need to go find some old tins and paint them! Love that idea. I have spray painted photo boxes and baskets, but didn't think of tins.

thank you for all the inspiration and all the yummy recipes!

Karen said...

I love your jello tins and actually have some from my great grandma that now have a home in my craft room! I love all the different buttons in them! Thank you for your wonderful ideas. I look forward to reading your blog at the end of my day.

Ilissa said...

Such a brilliant idea, I love how you "think-out-of-the -box" for all the tossed aside items. I check your blog daily and just love to see all the cute ideas you come up with. You are so way better than Martha Stewart. I your blog, and as always thanks for all the inspiration.

Diana said...

I love seeing these inspiration stations. Thank you for the pictures and the step-by-step walk through. You are so fun and creative.
I think I have about 80% of my shopping done, but nothing wrapped yet, that is my big project for the weekend. I did get 15 cards made last weekend so I am making progress. Love, love, love your blog, it make me happy.

Anonymous said...

I just love your creative work stations. They all look so gorgeous even before you start to make anything with them LOL. I wish I was as organised as you, I am working on it though. Gill

Margie said...

Hi Mish What a great idea for all those old baking tins that have cluttered my cupboards for ages! I replaced them with silicone bakeware but didn't like to throw them out - now I've the perfect use for them. Thanks for the tip. Yours look so good.

Teri said...

Mish, love your organizing methods! Your little jello molds are adorable!!! The brownie recipe sounds so yummy and the hubby loves peanut butter, so it's going to be a must try!!
Thanks for all the inspiration!
Teri

Peggy Sue said...

Must ditto Tracy Y comments. Although more often than not I look at your site twice a day to make sure I don"t miss anything. You are one talented person.
Wishing you a blessed holiday season.

Jen B said...

Mish - You rock!!!! I check in daily to see what amazing things you have cooked up in your little creative hole. You are much appreciated! I too share your obsession with the little jello molds.

Anonymous said...

I love how you always have buttons displayed in Jello molds. I have been looking all over for them so that I can do the same. No wonder I can't find them, YOU have them ALL!!!!! Did you come to California too :o)

Paige

Related Posts with Thumbnails