December 8, 2010

12 Days of Christmas..Day 7

Edit: Just wanted to add this photo below for reference. Forgot to add it earlier.

Welcome to Day 7 of Melissa's and Mishie's 12 Days of Christmas.
Today you're in for a sweet treat!
It's all about the candy. Our theme for today is Candy Land Cuties...embellishments with a candy theme in mind. Recently I've seen these wonderful, fabric pinwheel flowers but had no idea how to make them. Shimelle has a great video HERE that shows you how to make them. So simple and easy.

Since I love red and white at Christmas time, I immediately thought of peppermint candies for today's project. I had a stash of red and white candy cane striped fabric so I made flowers just like Shimelle showed in her video. I wrapped my spirals with clear cello wrap and tied them off with red and white baker's twine. Aren't they just the cutest little peppermint candy embellishments? Jordan immediately went to work making her own when she saw mine.
Today I'm pairing my peppermint candy embellishments up with candies of the real variety. Reese's Trees are always a holiday favorite of mine and this year we're enjoying these Ghiradelli Peppermint Bark candies, so yummy. I packaged the candies into my new Clear Pillow Boxes. I have a limited supply of these in my Etsy shop for the holiday season but will be carrying them as a regular item soon. They're perfect for tucking in a few candies.
I fancied the packages up by placing a Dainty Doily on top of the Pillow Box. Then I secured a patterned paper strip around the Pillow Box with Scor-Tape. My peppermint candy embellishment is secured to the top with pop dots. Aren't these the sweetest little gifts? I think they'd make a great teacher gift or perhaps a fun little gift for a co-worker. Who wouldn't love to see this sitting on their desk?
I'm going to use these for place setting favors this year for Christmas dinner. I have challenged the Reds to a Christmas Dinner Throw Down this year. They each have to come up with one appetizer and one dessert item, complete with shopping lists, grocery shopping and cleanup! It should be a fun time.

Here I've used a peppermint candy embellishment on a Short Sleeve glassine sack. I love how the favors look so cute sitting on top of vintage crocheted pot holders and my creamy white plates. I've been collecting the potholders all year long, hoping some good idea would pop into my head.
I would love to make a holiday table runner and some cloth napkins using my vintage fabrics I've been collecting.
Ohhhh, I can't wait for our actual Christmas dinner using these pretty place settings.
Hope you enjoy my peppermint twist on some fun embellishments. Look for the Clear Pillow Boxes to be up in the shop soon along with a few fun kits using more pinwheel flowers. And don't forget to check Melissa's blog. I am predicting sugared candies, whaddya think? Also, she has a sweet surprise announcement that you will be giddy about this month. Congrats, sweet friend!

Now for my recipe. You all know how I love to make my white chocolate covered popcorn, right? Well check out this recipe from Our Best Bites for Peppermint Bark Popcorn! Definitely going to make this for the holidays. And Our Best Bites is coming out with a cookbook early next year. A must have for me.

Photo courtesy of Our Best Bites.

Edit: I almost forgot to add this link. You must check out this beautiful wreath that the girls from Our Best Bites made using the fabric pinwheel flowers. So adorable, I must add this to my list of items to make. HERE'S THE LINK.

22 comments:

cowboydutrem said...

What a lovely use for the doily!

Elizabeth S. said...

These are adorable peppermint candies! I am going to have to go through my material now and make some myself! Thanks for all you and Melissa are doing and all of your recipes!

Romaine said...

Oh Mish, you know JUST the perfect way to package it up! I hope that I can find all these when I am ready!

Melissa said...

The sweetest things in the whole world Mish...I LOOOOVE them. Can't wait to try some out. What a fun treat today!
Melis

Heather said...

LOVE the peppermints!! Very cute, I will have to try them next year. ;o)

I LOVE what you and Melissa have been doing! Thanks for taking the time away from your day to share!

Love,Heather

Geny said...

So so so cute!!! I cannot wait to make some rolled flowers and that popcorn! Thank you for linking to that blog too, I have never visited it and it is wonderful! Did I mention how cute your project is? You should show us Jordan's flowers too!

Anonymous said...

You never cease to amaze me when I come to your blog! How you come up with stuff is such an incredible talent you have. Love everything you make!!!

Rhonda Z said...

I love the peppermint cansies you made!!

Karen said...

I love this and I am going to steal your idea for my Christmas table! Also, thank you for the Ourbestbites.com tidbit. I am in love and have already pre-ordered the cookbook! I look forward to your next idea!

cissy said...

The peppermints are adorable and I immediately thought they would make perfect little christmas pins. So after watching the tutorial and making a few adjustments they are turning out awesome!!! Might try making some smaller ones to use on clips for my daughter. Thanks for enabling!

Diane Jaquay said...

Your little fabric peppermints look FABULOUS Mish! I love anything mint flavored so I've got to try the popcorn :)

nancy said...

These candies are adorable on their own, but look festively elegant as part of a table setting. Thanks again for these 12 Days of Christmas.

Mandy said...

These are so beautiful and will look fab on a table all dressed up for Christmas.

I am so enjoying all your wonderful ideas ladies.

Mandy

Old World Primitives said...

Hi Michelle,
I love the peppermints that you made, and all of your pretty packaging ideas! I am loving the wreath over at Our Best Bites, too.

Stephanie

Unknown said...

thank you and Melissa for doing these projects!! i am going to make a little booklet with all of this info so i can do these NEXT year!!! i'm having two of my best girl friends over on tuesday for a little christmas luncheon - im making your white chocolate covered popcorn as a little treat for them...thank YOU for all of the great recipes you have shared with us..

Noreen said...

I love red and white, too - and those colors are a must for Christmas. I'm enjoying your recipes almost as much as your craft projects. Thanks for sharing all of them.

Meredith MacRitchie said...

I LOVE this idea - these would make adorable ornaments on the tree! Thanks for sharing :)

Jennifer Schmidt said...

These are fabulous, so pretty and festive! Can't wait to see what else you talented ladies have planned:)

Katie said...

These are perfect! I love the use of the doily...such a great presentation! I'd have to attach little clips to the back of the rosettes to make them into barrettes for my girls.

Gabby said...

The red/white striped "candy" flowers are soooo cute! Love 'em. And I love the way you put the boxes/bags together and then displayed them on the potholders ... great idea and now I wish I still had all those old potholders and dolies and linens that I used to have! I might just have to re-collect a few things in the coming new year! :)

Sharon said...

Okay, stop with the wonderful ideas already!! I'm in up to my wazoozie making stuff and now I've got three more things on my list. Thanks, Mish ;)

jen said...

made the popcorn for teacher gifts...yum! linked you up!

Related Posts with Thumbnails