December 11, 2010

12 Days of Christmas..Day 8

Welcome back to Melissa's and Mishie's 12 Days of Christmas countdown. Today we're on Day 8 and our theme is Fabulous Felt and Fabric.
Both Melissa and I love to use fabric and felt on our projects so today we have some more inspiring projects for you. For my projects, I've created some fun little doo-dads to use as embellishments. Here I've created a thank you card with a pretty, embellished envelope.

For the simple card I used Shimmery White Cardstock, the negative die cut image from a new butterfly die coming out this month from Papertrey, and a Vintage Pure Poppy Button tied with Rustic Twine. A simple stitch down the front of the card secures my paper in place. The sentiment is from Delight Dahlia.
For the embellished envelope, I used a Polka Dottie Envelope from my Etsy shop (I'll have more in stock at a later time in lots of colors), a Dainty Doily and a tied ribbon in Spring Moss.

As for my butterfly doo-dad embellishment, it's all about lots of fun layers. I used Pure Poppy Felt circle as the bottom layer. Lots of circle layers of white netting is the next layer. This adds a lot of fluffy dimension to the embellishment. Then I used a circle of fabric, another layer of netting and a red circle of fabric. The finishing accent is a diecut butterfly that will be released with Melissa's new stamp set this month at Papertrey Ink. It's so cute! I ran all the layers through my sewing machine and then fluffed each side to add dimension. A Mini Clothespin is perfect to clip the doo-dad to your finished project.
The little doo-dads can be used in so many ways. Here you can see one on a mini envelope which could be used to hold a tiny card or tag or small candies. I also took a few and clipped them to some wire baskets that hold Etsy items above my desk. I think they'd be adorable strung up on a garland too.
Here you can see all the layers, so easily held together with a single line of stitching. Hope you enjoy! Be sure to check Melissa's blog for her beautiful creations today too. Be sure to check out her post about her first stamp set for Papertrey Ink too. The set is called Love Lives Here and has coordinating dies. It's good. You need it.
For my recipe today I'm sharing a treat we made last night.....Peppermint Milkshakes. I'm doing some fun treats and family night events for the holiday season and this was a good one. I nestled our fun milkshakes mugs into a little serving basket and threw in some candy canes. Such a fun little treat that I delivered to the reds.
I don't have exact measurements but the ingredients are: Peppermint Ice Cream (we used Blue Bunny), Vanilla Ice Cream, milk, Cool Whip and crushed candy canes. Blend up for the most creamy milkshakes ever. Oh so yummy. The peppermint ice cream has little crunchy candy canes in it and by adding a few of your own to the top makes the milkshakes even better.
See this? The dollops of Cool Whip on top are like heavenly little clouds. It's Cool Whip people. Not UnCool....but Cool. I love it. My family loves it. It's good stuff.
I hope you have a fabulous weekend friends. The little reds are cleaning house in preparation for their friends to come over. Tonight we're going to a church dinner that we look forward to every year....the Mexican Methodist Church combines with our local church for a wonderful feast, complete with pinata, Santa Claus and music. Good times. Then it's home for a big movie night and lots of laughter. I'll be busy working on my Papertrey projects. Have a great weekend everyone!

18 comments:

KanataNewf said...

looks scrumptious - both the project and the peppermint milk shakes!

Diana said...

So pretty; I love how you combine different textures and colors!
I love Cool Whip, too. It doesn't last for very long at our house. Thought of you when I was in Pottery Barn, as they had red, cream & kraft & clothespins gift wrap displays...if I figure out how, I'll send you a picture that I took!

Mandy said...

Loving all the texture in today's creations Mish...beautiful.

Have a wonderful evening.

Mandy

Diana F. said...

Love it! You are so festive and fun. I am definately going to make the peppermint milkshakes next week when I have some friends over for dinner. Thank you for taking the time and effort to do these fabulous posts with all the great pictures and step-by-step process. I always look forward to coming to your blog everyday.

KathyN said...

Love your creation Mish! And love how you pointed out the Cool Whip! LOL!

Cathy Weber said...

Love today's post! I am going to put down the coffee mug,, get dressed and re-create this card. I love those polka dot envelopes.

Rhonda Z said...

Your house always sounds so fun.

Romaine said...

mmmm, yummy! Both the milkshake and the project! Sadly, the icecream is not a brand that I have ever seen in Canada. :0(

Cassie_lu said...

love that layered butterfly. So pretty.

Anne Tussing said...

So adorable! I love all the little doodads you make. What a great idea to use netting for a fun dimensional, but see-through layer! I'd LOVE some of those milkshakes too:)

Unknown said...

Hey Mish- Love your blog. Are you using your Wizard to cut PTI dies with fabric and other materials? I just received my first dies from PTI and am having trouble using them with my Wizard on anything other than paper. Thanks...

Sarah O. said...

I love your Peppermint milkshake "happy" for your reds! I'll have to put that one in my back pocket. Not literally...that would just be messy! Very COOL post.

Patty J said...

Feliz Navidad! And we love cool whip too. Just made the peanut butter brownies - they are a hit! Love all that you share!

Jackie said...

I love the project, but I have to tell you that I love the milkshakes just as much. Peppermint ice cream - I am so jealous! We can' find any around here at all and I love it so much. I love Cool Whip, too. I know I shouldn't, but I do.

Linda S. said...

Your recipies and projects are just way too cool, Mish!! I am looking for the post on someone's blog last year on how to cover a rectangle shaped tin (sheet rockers mud tray) with DP, decorate with embellishments, and place three/four tea lights inside. The candles glow against the raw tin on the inside. This project sounds like something you would do, so I am hoping it was you, and that you will refer me to the post. Thanks for your help. Linda S. in NE
ls4atwindstreamdotnet

Colleen said...

I adore your blog, it is always my "go to" blog whenever I get a chance at the computer. Peppermint milkshakes - yummo! If you (and your reds) like eggnog, it makes a good substitute for the milk in your shake recipe. We call them "Santa" shakes in our family and it is tradition for us to have them at least a couple times during the holiday season. The eggnog makes them even more of a holiday treat since eggnog is only available for a short time during the year. Love love peppermint ice cream - just can't get enough! Love all the doodads you make, love the way you share so much with us readers, and love the inspiration you provide daily!

Crafting Katie said...

OMG, you are too funny with your Cool Whip comment! Love the picture especially! We love Coo Whip too. :-) Super pretty projects today, as always!

Jenn Copeland said...

Love these! You are so fun!! Your posts always make me grin. You are awesome Mish!

Related Posts with Thumbnails