May 1, 2011

Quick Butterfly Cards..

Mother's Day is coming up this weekend. I feel blessed that Eric and I still have our mothers in our lives. I have a few fun gifts planned but homemade cards from me is always a big hit with both the moms. I've been keeping a stash basket for extra cards but I needed a few more to round out their card sacks.

Seems both our moms like basic cards....thank you, birthday, get well, sympathy and general greeting cards that can be used for any occasion. So for sentiments I stick to the basics. They also don't care for a lot of frills. They send out lots of cards so for me to fulfill the numbers they need I keep designs for them more simple. How about I show you a few I made today? I'm using a cheery mix of supplies including The Girls Paperie patterned paper, green baker's twine, Papertrey Spring Mix Vintage Buttons, Rustic White cardstock, Papertrey butterfly dies, various PTI sentiments and my sewing machine.
Here's a few fun details from my card designs today. Rounded corners to soften the edges of this pretty paper.
Die cut butterflies in two sizes from patterned paper.
Machine stitching down the center of the butterflies with the ends of the thread left long. Buttons sewn on with embroidery floss.
And do you remember me talking about my little scrap basket? I throw in leftover scraps, die cut borders, punches, and all sorts of little snippets. I keep it nearby at all times and reach for little pieces and parts to use on projects. If it gets too full, I make up a bunch of tags for Etsy or simply purge some pieces.
Today I dug out these little gems of patterned papers and a die cut doily.
I stitched little pieces to my sentiment strips of patterned paper. Very mixy matchy. A few fun pops of extra color and pattern here and there.
Added to the tops of my cards for a very eclectic mix.
And finally I added the butterfly embellishments on top of some paper doilies.
A stack of envelopes and they're ready to sack up. Are homemade cards on your gift giving list? I'm thinking I need to make up a batch for teacher gifts too. Hope you enjoy!

12 comments:

Wendy ten Hove said...

This looks like fun! You know how to combine papers, I would have a lot more trouble with that, but maybe it's just a matter of trying and trying! These look so lovely!
Hugs, Wendy

Sharon said...

I have to make 16 C&S cards and have been scratching my head as I didn't want to go too simple. Thanks for the inspiration Mish... I think I'm ready to start on those cards now. hugs Sharon

José said...

Oh wow, these are just fantastic!
Love the colors and the lay-out and the use of scraps. I'm inspired!
Have a great day,
Jose

Esther Asbury said...

How very, very pretty! I love your style and enjoy looking at your gorgeous projects!

Jean Franks Beck said...

Wow, what a gorgeous stack of cards, and what fabulous use of scraps. Love 'em!

Diana F. said...

I love how you can pull together all these different patterned papers and make it all work. I struggle with that a bit, but coming to your blog has enhanced my stamping skills greatly. Thank you for teaching us and inspiring us.

Lisa Elton said...

These are so pretty. I make paper crafted gifts for my mom too but she wants to save them! I tell "use them mom I'll make you some more!"

Lorri said...

Michelle,, my comment would be is that when you touch a scrap piece of dp it will become art. When I touch scrap it probably frustrate me and end up in the garbage. I love what you do.

Meredith MacRitchie said...

I always love the way you mix all your patterned papers, even in the smallest pieces. I also love that you have such a great basket for holding your cast offs. I need to take a page out of your book next time I see something awesome that I love but can't think of a use for - I never think of the craft room!

Teri said...

Adorable cards, Mish! I make my Mom all her cards too! And a pretty tin for her to keep them in. Now when she's running low, I get a little call to ask how the card making is going and how she's low on whatever!!! LOL! I will see her tomorrow and have a stack of sympathy and get wells for her! She used to have a hard time parting with them until I promised to keep her supplied!! The best was when she gave ME one of mine!! It was so funny!!
Hugs,
teri

Debbie Olson said...

These are gorgeous, Mish!

Anonymous said...

Eee! Love all your lovely mixy-matchy cards ;)
The cute layered butterflies are the perfect focus. Hugs, Ruth S

Related Posts with Thumbnails