March 16, 2012

Vintage finds create instant collections & a thought...

Hi there. I'm getting ready to head out to the hospital today. Today's the day for my dad's big surgery. It's going to be a long day so I'm trying to put a smile on my face and be very positive for my mom and dad. I'm reminded today that things are things. People are what matter most and how you treat them. Not just when they are sick or down & out....but every.single.day. I hope you keep those thoughts tucked into your heart today and every day.

Yesterday I grocery shopped and prepared a ton of food for family that is visiting. To relieve a little stress I stopped by my favorite little thrift shop before heading home from the grocery store. The owner and my thrifty friend, Ellie Lou, was out of the shop. I found out that she just had a major surgery too. I will have to send her a card. I missed my chat with her about our crafty ventures.

I haven't bought much lately in the vintage department because I don't want all my goodies to end up in an episode of Hoarders or Storage Wars some day. But I've been eyeing hobnail milk glass lately and I finally caved yesterday. I had one of these little beauties in my hands and put it back on the shelf a few times. Then I stumbled on another matching dish in another vendor's booth and decided that these were meant to come home with me.
Then I found this cute little restaurant ware pitcher and little planter in my favorite off white color. I couldn't resist. I love to put little flowers in these tiny pitchers and the planters are perfect for candies or crafty goodness.
And just like that I had an instant collection of off white glass goodies. I finally decided that these would make for some fun storage for all my smaller tags and Project Life embellishments.
I can't wait to clear off a shelf and display my new finds. Who can resist all those little divided cubby holes.
Are you looking for some unique storage for your crafty finds? Sometimes a trip to the junk shops is just what you need. A tip: Don't look for the obvious. You probably won't find a grouping of just what you need sitting there staring at you. Think outside the box. Find one classic item that you like and build upon that item. Carry that favorite around look for other items that match in color or style.

Have some quirky collections of your own? I'd love to see them...post a link in the comments. I'd love to have some links to look at today while in the waiting room. Later friends.

15 comments:

Ellie said...

Sending good vibes for your Father's surgery darling. I have been meaning to go to the thrift shop but never make it but I said this coming Wednesday I plan too (the only one around me is the church thrift shop) and I am super curious to see if I will find a small treasure. We shall see :) Love your finds especially that pitcher I can just imagine it w/some pretty flowers in it.

Tami McBeain said...

Your family is in my thoughts today. You always find the best things on your junk adventures! Thanks for sharing!

Leena said...

Will keep you and your family in my prayers. Speedy recovery to your dad after the surgery. And I love your find in the thrift shop! The wares are perfect for your items. :)

Lynda said...

Thinking of you and your family today...prayers going up for your dad too! Hugs, Lynda

Cyndy said...

Big hugs to you and your family. Special prayers for your father. Love your thrifts finds...my mom had a pitcher like that. Served us hot tea in it when we were sick. With saltine crackers smuthered with butter and jam. Perhaps a visit to my local thrift shops is what I need this weekend.

Laura C said...

I hope your dad's surgery is a successful one!

I have found fantastic treasures at thrift shops for my craft room. pedestal cut glass for under $5 and I have a "thing" for pretty cut clear glass pieces. They may be cheap things from years past but I love to put flowers, bits of ribbons and my other embellies in them. I like your hobnail white dishes. Very vintage and pretty

Francie said...

Sending you good thoughts for your dad. It is times like this that put everything into perspective.

(I'm watching Storage Wars right now. I love it! Hoarders, too. Watching Hoarders keeps me on the straight and narrow.)

Unknown said...

i hope that the surgery went well for your father..

Samantha said...

I said a special prayer for you and your family, and I'm hoping that all has gone well for your dad. It's always so hard to see someone you love going through a major surgery.

I love your vintage finds! Going to antique stores is one of my favorite things to do. My craft room is full of vintage furniture and small antiques. If you have some spare time, you are welcome to view my finds here:

http://samanthawelch.blogspot.com/search/label/craft%20room

Have a peaceful weekend :)

lisa westphal said...

Hoping and praying that your Dad's surgery went even better than expected and that his recovery is super-speedy.
I think that you hit the nail on the head when you said it's how you treat people every.single.day..(or something like that...I'd better write it down -it was that good!) We all need to be reminded of that once in a while. I'm going to share it with my boys today.
Lastly, awesome thirfty-finds!! I wish I had a special collection to link up...but pickin's are slim here...I have a lot of 'starter' collections...as in a single piece/item. I hope to find a few friends for them soon. -lol! :) *Love* all of the ones you share here on your 'blogerooney'. :)
Take care. You and your family will be in my prayers.
love, lisa

Anonymous said...

sending a prayer your way for your dad and family. my dad's birthday was March 16. He's been gone almost 7 years but I still had to make brownies for him that day.

Thanks for sharing your fun finds. I'm glad you took some time for yourself and found some treasures to brighten your day.

Anonymous said...

Sending you, your Dad & your whole family well wishes for today, all the way from Australia!

And thanks for sharing your latest vintage goodies! I love seeing what you dig up.

Jo R.

Jessica said...

I really hope your dad surgery comes out well. Best wishes to you & the family! I really love those plates with little
Compartments and the jugs are gorgeous!

Jen said...

I hope all goes well for your father. You are all in my thoughts.
I love the nifty finds you share. Sometimes I feel like I miss out on the real vintage knick knacks and even a bit of history because I live on the younger coast. Unless I'm walking through a curated antique shop, "nifty finds" can be tough. I need to plan to get to flea markets more. In the meantime, I continue to live vicariously through blogs like yours, http://vintagejunky.blogspot,http://blog.kennerroad.com/category/decorate/com/, etsy, & eBay.

Gypsy 2 said...

My prayers are with you and your family.
Thank you for all of the inspiration you always give us here in Blogland.Now its our turn to give to you.
Best wishes from the other side of the world.

Related Posts with Thumbnails